line -->
  • Thursday, October 13, 2005

     

    Will Geek for Words, Part 10: M Words Gone Wild

    Being part the 10th of a shambling parade of posts extracting my favorite words and their definitions from the Word Lover’'s Dictionary: Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words by Josefa Heifetz (New York: Carol Publishing, 1974, 1994). For beginning entries in this series, please see Part 1 and Part 2. If you want to find all posts in the series, search on the title "Will Geek for Words" on this site. Eventually I add them to the sidebar listing. Part 10 encompasses the letter M words and their definitions. And, yes, I am using "geek" in the older carny definition of a sideshow act. I love words in a very, very special way.

    Amazingly, this is not a promotional stunt. I am not paid to plug this book yet here I am, mentioning it at the top of each of these posts and linking to the Amazon page for it. Someone should give me an award or something. (What I'll probably get is a "cease and desist" letter from their lawyers. As the saying goes: So sue me. I'm sure it's fair use to include excerpted selections in a non-commercial venture. And did I mention that I'm poor?)

    I'm particularly pleased by the insults possible with some of these words. I think calling someone a "dumb fuck" or even "fucktard" is dull and lacking in verve. Let's face it: the word "fuck" as an insult and intensifier has been played into the ground. It is, in my opinion, overused to the point of meaninglessness and now has little shock value. Better terms of derision and insult await. And if the target of your verbal insult doesn't understand what you've said, all the better. That ignorance becomes another level of insult as they look stew-pid. Yes, beneath my seemingly genteel exterior lurks a sly demon of vicious verbal assault. But only in the service of Truth and Justice. Really.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->