line -->
  • Sunday, May 01, 2005

     

    Will Geek for Words, Part 2

    I'm thinking of doing a small series of some of the words found in the Word Lover's Dictionary by Josefa Heifetz. My first entry was here. These selections aren't quite random but please try not to diagnose my mental problems through analyzing my choices. They may be false leads. I fancy styling myself a (Hannibal) Lector of Lexicography, seeking subtle tastes in words. Failing that, obscure words satiate my hunger and desires. It should be noted that I'm using "geek" above in the older, carny sense: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake. Bon appétit!

    Comploration, n.: wailing and weeping together.
    Conticent, adj.: quiet, hushed.
    Corybantism, n.: a frenzied, sleepless delirium accompanied by wild and frightening hallucinations, also corybantiasm.
    Cuggermugger, n.: whispered gossiping.
    Dacnomania, n.: a mania for killing.
    Daymare, n.: anxiety attack.
    Demophobe, n.: a people-hater.
    Devenustate, v.i.: to deprive of beauty.
    Dicacity, n.: oral playfulness; talkativeness.
    Dolorifuge, n.: something that relieves sadness.
    Dundreary, n.: a stuttering, foolish, long-bearded fop.
    Dysphemism, n.: the opposite of euphemism.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->