Thursday, June 23, 2005
Will Geek for Words, Part 8: K Street Words
Amazingly, this is not a promotional stunt. I am not paid to plug this book yet here I am, mentioning it at the top of each of these posts. However if the publishers are interested in giving me a kickback, I wouldn't be adverse to accepting a nice certificate with a fancy border and calligraphy noting my devotion to language. An honorary degree would be great as well. (What I'll probably get is a nice "cease and desist" letter from their lawyers. No good deed goes unpunished for long.)
- kakistocracy, n.: government by the worst citizens.
- kalopsia, n.: condition where things appear more beautiful than they really are.
- keck, v.i.: 1. to retch. 2. to express disgust. 3. to make a retching sound. -n. an attempt to vomit; queasiness.
- keister, n.: 1. a safe or strongbox. 2. a burglar's tool kit. 3. the local jail. 4. the buttocks. 5. good luck (all slang).
- kerlarap, v.i.: to cavort; to play.
- kerygma, n.: Christian preaching. kerygmatic, adj.
- kippage, n.: commotion, confusion, excitement.
- klebenliben, n.: a pathologic reluctance to stop talking about a certain subject.
- kleptic, adj.: thievish.
- knout, n.: a lash made of twisted leather thongs and laced with wire.
- kokomo, n.: a cocaine addict; any drug addict (slang).
- kordax, n.: 1. an ancient Dionysian phallic dance performed in the buff. 2. any lively Renaissance court dance. also cordax.