line -->
  • Sunday, October 01, 2006

     

    Censored 2007 and the Pitter-pat of my Heart

    I commence a happy little joy-dance when the annual Censored volume comes out. Censored 2007: The Top 25 Censored Stories (Seven Stories Press) is always an education and I love reading it cover to cover. I have a deep interest in looking beyond/below/behind the mainstream media (MSM) news. I've reached a point where I believe watching MSM television news actually lowers my understanding of the events in the world. The priorities, the emphasis and the presentation are all designed to distract rather than inform the viewing public. The amazing trick? You come away with the impression that you have learned something worthwhile.

    We live in the wonderland of infotainment. I haven't read it but I've always loved the title of Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business (1985) because it pithily describes what is wrong with media. It's a circus. My only question is: Where's my bread to go with it?

    So I'm savoring Censored 2007. It always shows me how little I really know. I read a lot of alternative press sources and still 10 out of the 25 stories will probably be new to me. I'm thinking of basing a few posts on some of the stories that interest me. You know, include links and background information. We'll see.

    Here's what I said last year about Censored 2006. It includes some linkage for some of the stories and articles as well.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->