line -->
  • Tuesday, June 07, 2005

     

    A Book Meme

    I seem to be in a meme mood. I was not tagged for this but I nonetheless picked it up from Pam at Pam's House Blend.

    Number Of Books I Own: I don't have the faintest idea. They're like tribbles around here, falling out of boxes, stored in the basement, etc. Thousands at a minimum but definitely less than a million. (Definitely. Time for Wopner.)

    Last Book I Bought: Why, I just got back from Raven Books, a local used bookstore and my idea of heaven on earth. Unusually for me these days, all five books are fiction (I guess The Onion's Ad Nauseam counts as fiction.) But I'll say The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad. (Sort of worked in a two-fer there.)

    Last Book I Read: I seem attuned to my short attention span recently: Strange Days #1: The Year in Weirdness by the editors of Fortean Times.

    Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me: You should know by now that I cheat on these lists, finding ways to cram more entries than the specified number so let's start with:

    The Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis. Seven books for one spot on the list. I started reading them in third grade; I'm not about to stop now. And yes, I did finish them! I'm not that slow a reader.

    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. I admit to being an old school science fiction geek.

    Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs. My idea of good opinion writing. Like Spinal Tap, he goes to 11. His sparring with Lou Reed is sublime.

    The SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas. A delicate pamphlet of subtle rhetoric. An inspiration to me.

    Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary. I thought carefully about this and realized it is a book I open and refer to often. It is definitely a book that has meant a lot to me.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->