line -->
  • Saturday, December 11, 2004

     

    Why Language is Important

    I love language and vocabulary, the art of verbal description and wit. While running through various ways to describe the non-plot of the movie The Bourne Supremacy in my head, I realized how much the choice of different words completely changed the meaning and the emotional impact of a sentence. [The rest of this has absolutely nothing to do with the movie; that was just the starting point for this rant.]

    The following sentences may describe similar events but each of them conveys different information about a situation. If you try to envision what each of sentence describes, differing emotional resonances will occur within you at each sentence. (Well, this assumes you have some sense of empathy and feeling.)

    A woman calls for help.
    A woman cries out for help.
    A man calls for help.
    A man tries to kiss a woman and she calls for help.
    A woman's boyfriend tries to kiss her and she calls for help.
    A man's girlfriend tries to kiss him and he calls for help.

    The point I'm trying to make is that each sentence triggers a different imaginary (or real) scene. We fill in the details. I note that I find it difficult to imagine the last example sentence. I don't really know what the point of this exercise is but it somehow seemed important. And, no, I'm not high. *sigh* Maybe I'm just easily amused by playing with words.




    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->