line -->
  • Friday, December 10, 2004

     

    Winners of the P.U.-litzers

    "The P.U.-litzer Prizes were established a dozen years ago to provide special recognition for truly smelly media performances." Here's a sample from this amusing piece:
    MANDATE MANIA: Too many winners to name

    It became a media mantra. Two days after the election, the Los Angeles Times reported that "Bush can claim a solid mandate of 51 percent of the vote." Cox columnist Tom Teepen referred to Bush's vote margin as an "unquestionable mandate." Right-wing pundit Bill Kristol argued that Bush's "mandate" went beyond the 49-states-to-one landslides of Nixon in 1972 and Reagan in 1984. Reality check: This was the narrowest win for an incumbent president since 1916. As Greg Mitchell wrote in Editor & Publisher: "Where I come from, 51 percent is considered a bare majority, not a comfortable margin. If only 51 percent of my family or my editorial staff think I am doing a good job, I might look to moderate my behavior, not repeat or enlarge it."




    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->