line -->
  • Wednesday, October 22, 2008

     

    The Disease of Libertarianism

    Libertarianism is a political philosophy. All the Libertarians that I've ever known have been white males, often with an income higher than the average American.

    I find Libertarianism to be almost pathologically anti-social. I can find a few issues where Libertarians and I share common ground (changing draconian illegal drug laws/penalties, for example.) But in the main, the lack of compassion and insistence on ruthless social Darwinism strikes me as repugnant and selfish.

    This is on my mind because there is a question on the ballot this year, undoubtedly promoted by Libertarians, asking whether to abolish the income tax in Massachusetts. (Pros and cons)

    I couldn't contain my laughter when the argument "for" the abolition said that this wouldn't make town tax rates go up. Let me name a few of the things state income taxes help subsidize.
    The idea that private enterprise or corporations will step in to provide for the commonwealth and societal needs is remarkably naive, perhaps deliberately so. I can't help but wonder at the possible motivation to capitalize on the "opportunities" inherent in the withdrawal of state organization and resources. The result of this tack is more people falling to the bottom. And it's remarkably easy to take advantage of desperate and poor people willing to do anything to stay afloat.

    This is why I doubt Libertarianism will ever become widely popular: It despises poor people.

    Labels: , ,




    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->