Saturday, January 14, 2006
Women and Work: Limited Prospects
This one is titled Limited Ambitions and actually has sources for the info. Here are a few selections.
- In 1963, RFK withdrew his nomination to a club that had spurned a black official and formed a club that didn't admit women.
- Companies with women in top jobs see 35% higher returns than those without.
- 74% of female executive have a spouse who's employed full time. 75% of male execs have a spouse who's not employed.
- For full-time working fathers, each child correlates to a 2.1% earnings increase. For working moms, it's a 2.5% loss.
- Women over 65 are almost twice as likely to be poor as men.
- Anne Bancroft was 36 when she played Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. Dustin Hoffman was 30.
- Since orchestras started requiring musicians to audition behind screens, the number of women hired as increased 20%.
- 15 African nations have a higher percentage of female legislators than does the U.S.