line -->
  • Thursday, September 15, 2005

     

    Mystery Words from My Teen Years

    When I was a teen, I used to write on bookmarks words I wanted to look up in the dictionary. Sometimes they were words I knew the general definition of but wanted to refresh myself as to the specifics of the definition. Other words I had never come across before. So I have a few of these bookmarks hanging around that are yellowed and faded with lists of words, some of them quite odd. You undoubtedly don't care but here is one such list.

    perforce
    seriatim
    otiosity
    emendations
    eke
    circumambient
    docent
    orichalchan
    dehisces
    haply
    triremes
    sepulcher
    Thule
    empery
    novitiate
    volutes
    ambergris
    recondite
    thuribles
    talc
    cantraips
    adumbration
    deliquescent
    bituminous

    My guess is I picked up most of these from the books of Robert E. Howard, best known as the literary creator of Conan the Barbarian. He was a prolific pulp writer of fantasy in the 1920s and 1930s.

    I went through a phase of reading almost everything written by everyone who contributed to the so-called Cthulhu Mythos started by H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of friends. Clark Ashton Smith was another author I was reading at the time.

    I was not always the dour and serious blogger you see here (mostly). I read books with covers by Frank Frazetta like the one at left. Frazetta's paintings were full of brave, brawny hunks with small brains and women dressed in scraps of leather and metal which defied physics and gravity. Creatures of various types also inhabited the paintings. Note the gator plus tentacles and winged imps in the background.

    I'm embarrassed by this history of my frivolous reading and the visual aid I've provided but them's the breaks. I've got a confessional mojo on at the moment.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->