Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Will Geek for Words, Part 9: Hot L Action Words
Amazingly, this is not a promotional stunt. I am not paid to plug this book yet here I am, mentioning it at the top of each of these posts and linking to the Amazon page for it. However if the publishers are interested in giving me a kickback, I wouldn't be adverse to accepting a nice certificate with a fancy border and calligraphy noting my devotion to language. An honorary degree would be great as well. (What I'll probably get is a "cease and desist" letter from their lawyers. As the saying goes: So sue me. I'm sure it's fair use to include excerpted selections in a non-commercial venture. And did I mention that I'm poor?)
- labile, adj.: 1. unstable, plastic; apt to change. 2. fast chemical or molecular change. 3. emotionally unstable.
- lagniappe, n.: a cheap present given to good customers (Louisiana).
- lagnosis, n.: satyriasis.
- lant, n.: stale urine used in manufacturing. v.t. to wet or mix with lant.
- lapidate, v.t.: to stone; to kill by stoning.
- lares and penates, n.pl.: 1. household gods. 2. one's most treasured possessions.
- larvate, adj.: hidden, obsure.
- latrant, adj.: snarling; complaining.
- leal, adj.: 1. faithful, loyal, and true. 2. correct, accurate, and real. 3. legal, lawful, and just.
- lecheur, n.: a devotee of oral intercourse; a licker.
- leptology, n.: a boringly detailed discourse on trivial subjects.
- lethologica, n.: inability to remember the right word.
- lexiphanic, adj.: using pretentions language.
- liberticidal, adj.: destroying or tending to destroy liberty.
- limen, n.: the borderline of awareness.
- litotes, n.: the use of understatement to avoid criticism or for dramatic effect.
- lockrums, n.pl.: unpopular ideas.
- loganamnosis, n.: a mania for trying to recall forgotten words.
- logastellus, n.: "a person whose enthusiasm for words outstrips his knowledge of them" (John McClellan in Word Ways, Vol. 3 No.3, 1970).
- logolept, n.: a word maniac.
- logorrhea, n.: incoherent or excessive babble.
- longanimity, n.: silently suffering while planning revenge.
- loxotic, adj.: slanting, distorted.
- lupanarian, adj.: lubricious, lascivious, and lewd. lupanar, n. a Roman cat house.
- lygophilia, n.: love of darkness.
- lygophobia, n.: fear of darkness.
- lypophrenia, n.: a vague feeling of sadness, seemingly without cause.