line -->
  • Monday, September 19, 2005

     

    My Pre-Raphaelite, Symbolist Heart

    John Everett Millais, Ophelia (1851-52)

    In vague response to The Green Knight's Friday Art blog post, I'm posting a favorite bit of art. Why? Because I likes pretty pictures. Rossetti's dandy, but here is a picture that I posted near my desk for many years. It provided plenty of inspiration for my writing during that time.

    Honorable mention also goes to Hylas and the Nymphs (1896) by John William Waterhouse because of the rippling resonances encapsulated in the moment of the painting. Have you ever wondered why Hercules never made it to the Trojan War? No? C'mon, every other half human, half god of the period managed it, why not him? 'cause Herc got left behind on an island while en route to the battle. He was busy looking for his, uh, close young male companion, Hylas. Shame about Hylas who was apparently drowned in the arms of the charming water Nymphs.

    Do you sense a subtle water and death theme between these two paintings? Yup, thas me, going to the well and drinking deep while trying not to fall in. Trying to create without becoming washed away in the flood. Uh, metaphorically speaking, not like New Orleans in recent weeks.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->