line -->
  • Thursday, May 19, 2005

     

    Galloway Lashes Senate Committee

    Wow. If you want to read just how good a tongue-lashing can be, read this transcript of G. Galloway testifying to a Senate Committee. He's been accused in the media of taking money from Saddam Hussein and personally profiting from the oil-for-food scandal. It is blistering and entertaining. Here's the beginning but the whole thing will only take a couple of minutes to read.
    "Senator, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an oil trader. and neither has anyone on my behalf. I have never seen a barrel of oil, owned one, bought one, sold one - and neither has anyone on my behalf.

    "Now I know that standards have slipped in the last few years in Washington, but for a lawyer you are remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice. I am here today but last week you already found me guilty. You traduced my name around the world without ever having asked me a single question, without ever having contacted me, without ever written to me or telephoned me, without any attempt to contact me whatsoever. And you call that justice.

    "Now I want to deal with the pages that relate to me in this dossier and I want to point out areas where there are - let's be charitable and say errors. Then I want to put this in the context where I believe it ought to be. On the very first page of your document about me you assert that I have had 'many meetings' with Saddam Hussein. This is false.

    "I have had two meetings with Saddam Hussein, once in 1994 and once in August of 2002. By no stretch of the English language can that be described as "many meetings" with Saddam Hussein."



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->