line -->
  • Thursday, March 24, 2005

     

    Personal Sacrilege

    I've read books all my life. I've read a LOT of books. I read almost compulsively.

    I have great respect for writers. I have aspirations to write something of substance some day.

    So the following realization borders on earth sundering sacrilege: Writers are not necessarily intelligent. I don't mean I disagree with some writer's positions or their technique. I mean some might be of average or less than average intelligence.

    I always figured crafting language was, ipso facto, intelligent work. Wrong. It's a skill. Of course, a moron might have some difficulty writing a coherent piece but perhaps not as much I would like to think. (I use "moron" as defined in my dictionary: a person with the mental capacity of an 8-12 year old.)

    And I don't mean to insult morons by comparing them to writers. Just so you know.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->