Fun little article in the Sept/Oct. 2004 Mother Jones
. "Faith in the System" has a few quotes and some factoids about religion and politics in the USA. However, I'm really not sure of the sources or the validity of some of these bits.
Unique among the nations, America recognized the source of our character as
being godly and eternal, not being civic and temporal. We have no king but
Jesus. - John Ashcroft
- 38 % of Americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified Muslim for president.
- 52% wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.
- There are 3,000 fewer Rastas in the U.S. now than in 1990, but 126,000 more Wiccans. [Really?]
- Since 2002, a sex-ed group that criticizes the administration's abstinence-only policies has been audited by federal health officials three times.
- 78% of Americans would rather hear a presidential candidate's plan for fighting poverty than his position on gay marriage.
- President Bush has used the word "evil" at least 350 times in speeches.
[And the winner in my opinion...]
- In June, the Vatican announced that church Inquisitors had tortured people for only 15 minutes at a time, and only in the presence of a doctor.