line -->
  • Tuesday, November 09, 2004

     

    Vote Problems in Cuyahoga County, OH [updated]

    UPDATE: Looks like I was right to be a little sceptical of the numbers in this report. The author has revised the numbers and put out this little statement:


    Ok - finally had a chance to figure this out. I apologize for any anxiety that went along with these numbers. It seems that data is useless without knowing how counties arrived at the numbers and this was a particularly tricky process.

    There are redundant numbers when looking at what seem to be "extra" votes in various precincts. These redundant numbers represent the absentee ballots. Absentee ballots are added into several districts for unoffical counts, but do not go toward the county total more than once. It is quite tricky and confusing, but it makes sense now after talking with the county (they were quite nice).

    I will play a little more with these numbers, just to fix this picture... but sometimes, things aren't what they seem. My sincere apologies - thank you to those who question the data - you are the ones who keep us credible.

    [end edit]

    Like the fascination with auto accidents, I can't seem to shake an awful compulsion to look at these reports of problems. I vowed not to post these sort of links but I have to admit I'm not sticking to it. Fortunately, I'm not running for president or other public office. I can change my mind without catching flak for it.

    This info is a little shrill but if, IF, the information is correct, it's just one more disturbing item in a generally weird post-election period. What this item is refering to is that the number of votes in some of these precincts exceeds the number of registered voters. That's more than a high turnout, it's impossible. I don't know if I trust their data though. I'm somewhat prejudiced against the infor because of the writer's use of CAPS and exclamation points! Bold emphasis is mine. This is from Cuyahoga County Precincts:


    "Each precinct in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Highlighted areas represent 90% (very VERY unlikely) and higher (up to 1160.78%) voter TURN-OUT! 30 are above 100%. Calculated from data on county page - http://boe.cuyahogacounty.us/BOE/results/currentresults1.htm

    (Ballots Cast/Registered Voters) * 100 = % turn out. Ballots Cast SHOULD NEVER be more than Registered, thus % should NEVER be higher than 100%.

    This amounts to 97,489 EXTRA votes beyond 100% in those precincts! This is just for ONE county!"





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->