line -->
  • Thursday, September 14, 2006

     

    Will Geek for Words, Part 13: The "P" Words, Phobophobia Edition

    Being part the 13th of an irregularly posted series of carefully selected words from the Word Lover’s Dictionary: Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words by Josefa Heifetz (New York: Carol Publishing, 1974, 1994, ISBN: 0806517204). For beginning entries in this series, please see Part 1 and Part 2. If you want to find all posts in the series, search on the title "Will Geek for Words" on this site. Eventually I add them to the sidebar listing. Part 13 encompasses the letter "P" words and their definitions. "Geek" is used here in the older, carny definition of a sideshow actor who acted like a "wild man" and often bit the heads off chickens at the culmination of his act. Does this actually explain my use of the word for this series of posts? No, but I burn with a desire to experience the romantic lifestyle of these geeks, these precious degenerates. I love words in a very, very special way. Don't I have a charming and sophisticated way of showing it? (No chickens were harmed in the creation of this post.)

    No kickbacks are involved and this is not a promotional stunt. I am not paid to plug this book yet here I am, mentioning it at the top of each of these posts and linking to the Amazon page for it. I am still half-expecting and awaiting a "cease and desist" letter from their lawyers. ("Tick-tock, Clarice, tick-tock.") I'm sure it's "fair use" to include excerpted selections in a non-commercial venture. Did I mention that I'm poor? (This intro keeps getting weirder, stranger and sicker as time goes on.)
    I'm breaking the P words here. There are an awful lot of them.



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->