line -->
  • Thursday, September 23, 2004

     

    The Language of News and Politics

    I'm still on a quest into the inherent biases of news stories and the political narrative. I still gawk in wonder when I read a "news" story and begin (in my inexperienced way) to break down/separate the facts in the story from the metaphor and "framing" of the story. Usually what I end up with is more descriptive than substantive. The "story" overwhelms the "news", if you will. I guess that's inevitable to some extent. If a writer just laid out the facts with minimal connective tissue/themes, people probably wouldn't get past the first paragraph. George Lakoff has written about the very well developed construct of metaphor in right-wing intellectual circles, a framework of allusion that quickly conveys conservative concepts to a broad audience. Here's a recent article about this: AlterNet: MediaCulture: The Disease of Right-wing Framing



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    -->